Tooth loss is a common dental problem globally suffered by all age groups. For some, it could negatively impact their chewing functions and speech, while for others, it is all about aesthetics. Missing teeth can have adverse effects if not replaced on time. This could lead to low self-esteem and embarrassment, in addition to other concerns like malocclusion. Thankfully, dentists can help you overcome this challenge through porcelain bridges.
The dental practice in Powell, TN, offers compassionate dental care that focuses on providing state-of-the-art porcelain bridges with excellent patient compliance and satisfaction.
An introduction to porcelain bridges
A porcelain bridge is a tooth-colored prosthetic device that is permanently fixed to the teeth adjacent to the missing space. These offer excellent tooth replacements that go a long way owing to their excellent efficiency and durability.
This artificial tooth replacement prosthesis consists of the following parts:
- Abutment teeth: Natural teeth on either side of the missing space. These are made up of dental crowns and provide support for the bridge.
- Pontic: False tooth that replaces a missing tooth/teeth
Indications for a porcelain bridge
A porcelain fixed bridge is most often recommended due to the following reasons:
- Replaces missing tooth/teeth
- Maintains your facial shape and structure
- Prevents drifting or displacement of adjacent teeth
- Prevents malocclusion
- Restores the chewing and speaking ability
- Restores your smile and enhances your appearance
The procedure involved in porcelain bridges
The following steps are involved in the fabrication of porcelain bridges:
- Your dentist will evaluate your oral cavity to determine the number of teeth missing
- Abutment teeth will be prepared by removing a portion of the enamel to allow space for the crown
- Your dentist will record a highly accurate impression (mold), which is sent to the dental lab for fabrication of the bridge.
- Meanwhile, a temporary bridge will be placed to protect the prepared abutment teeth.
- Your newly fabricated bridge will be carefully evaluated for fit, adjusted accordingly, and fixed using dental cement.
Potential benefits of porcelain bridges
Porcelain bridges are excellent teeth replacement prostheses due to the following advantages:
- Blend with your natural teeth easily
- Fixed and do not dislodge easily
- Preserves the integrity of the remaining teeth
- Offer permanent solutions
- Highly durable and long-lasting with proper care
- Preserves the health of your jawbone
- Prevents premature skin sagging and aging
A porcelain fixed bridge is a non-removable appliance and is an excellent way to replace missing teeth. These are most popular since they resemble your natural teeth, with other added benefits. Proper brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits will help enhance their durability and lifespan.